Going by the popularity of PHP it is pretty evident that there has to be certain reasons why PHP so popular. Some of the points which make the PHP very popular are the following:
- PHP is very widely used, which means that if you run into trouble, there is a lot of help available.
- PHP is open source and is free to download and use.
- PHP can be used on various operating systems, for example, Windows, Linux, macOS.
- PHP is a fast programming language which means that the programs you write in the language run pretty fast and are you to serve more customers.
- PHP supports almost every single database on earth. Ranging from SQL databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and noSQL databases such as Redis and MongoDB.
- Almost everything and anything that you’re going to require for creating great web applications is available either directly in the language or there are ample libraries available to fulfil the requirement.
In addition to the social benefits, PHP is a very capable language in terms of what it can do!
Capabilities of PHP 7
- PHP can generate dynamic web content.
- PHP can also create, open, read, write, delete and close files on the server.
- PHP can collect form data from browser and send it to server.
- PHP can create, send and receive cookies.
- PHP can perform the CRUD operations on the database using the right adapter or BDO.
- PSP can be used with a lot of different web servers for example, Apache, nginx (pronounced engine X) and Microsoft IIS.
- Various utilities such as getting the data from the browser, handling secure websites via HTTPS, encrypting and decrypting date on the fly etc. are built right into the language.
- PHP can also be used for raw socket connections as well as web socket connections.